- This I beheld, or dreamed it in a dream:—
- There spread a cloud of dust along a plain;
- And underneath the cloud, or in it, raged
- A furious battle, and men yelled, and swords
- Shocked upon swords and shields. A prince’s banner
- Wavered, then staggered backward, hemmed by foes.
- A craven hung along the battle’s edge,
- And thought, “Had I a sword of keener steel—
- That blue blade that the king’s son bears,—but
- Blunt thing—!” he snapped and flung it from his
- And lowering crept away and left the field.
- Then came the king’s son, wounded, sore
- And weaponless, and saw the broken sword,
- Hilt-buried in the dry and trodden sand,
- And ran and snatched it, and with battle shout
- Lifted afresh he hewed his enemy down,
- And saved a great cause that heroic day.