for R. Y. P.
- We seek drink, the way of drunkenness.
- We drink because our deep glasses
- are never filled.
- We measure our stints by bottles,
- and we sense our extents
- in the living confusion around us.
- As drunks, we look to others like us,
- though we drink because alcohol is a hint
- of the ultimate intoxicant.
- We drink that we may sink so deep
- that we will no longer see ourselves as a part
- of the living confusion.
- We join in incoherent drinking
- with fellow drinkers
- to proclaim our capacities.
- In the end we drink alone,
- though always in a living confusion.
- How deep our glasses, we know not.
8 June 1974