About this book
– Being tame is on a spectrum.
– One’s personality isn’t a choice.
– Desperation drives us to animal behaviors.
– Would the wolf’s intelligence rival the dog’s?
– Unnatural acts humor us.
– Farming depends on a small number of animal species.
– We’ll breed other animals, not humans.
Domesticating the fox
– Breeding a friendly fox makes a kind of dog.
– We care for our cows.
– A service animal has a specialty.
– Other species should be entertaining.
– Some species procreate freely in a zoo.
– It’s not just learning to use a toilet.
– They might not agree on our terms.
A dog runs free
– She wants to be chased.
– Try to make it think that you aren’t frightened.
– Try not train them to expect anything of humans.
Grizzlies in the wild
– Respect a grizzly’s space.
Grizzlies at the zoo
– The zoo is not as bad as a jail.
– A jungle is the tiger’s world, not yours.
– A bat doesn’t want to tangle in your hair.
– The flea is a domesticated insect.
– Our notions of wolves are mostly fictions.
– Canines like wolves and dogs can interbreed.
– I don’t like nature shows.
How wild animals see us
– They think we stink.
How we see wild animals
– They’re too fierce to live in captivity.
Old Testament animals
– It’s myth, not history.
Adopting a dog
– We share our lives.
– We fed them, we bred them.
– A duckling loves the first animal it sees.
| Copyright © 2021