Fruits & Vegetables
About this book
– A plant is sessile; an animal is motile.
Kingdom of Linnaeus
– Linnaeus divided everything into three kingdoms.
Myth of sentience
– Even though a creature doesn’t feel like us, it can still, like us, feel.
Free to be guiltless
– You don’t need to feel guilty.
– Creatures with nervous systems have consciousness.
– it’s hard to understand what they might be saying.
– We tend to think simple creatures as plants.
– Legumes are fruits of different colors.
– Knead the dough you need.
Fruits & vegetables
– Let us not scorn either vegetable or fruit.
– There are over five thousand varieties of potato.
– Some profess to eat only fruits.
– Why eat animals when we have good alternatives?
– Honey isn’t made from bees.
– Our three sisters are planted and eaten together.
– Spices, simply, add spice to life.
Cuisines I have known
– The meats don’t distinguish cuisines.
– I’m squeamish about eating bletted fruit.
– The spines are difficult to avoid.
– Frugivorous birds are more vigilant than we are.
Kumquat and loquat
– I liked kumquats better than loquats.
– It’s easier to get bananas from Ecuador.
– You won’t find mulberries at your grocery.
– Maybe you can support local farmers or grow your own.
– Most commercial wasabi is horseradish with green food coloring.
– Hundreds of varieties of garlics perform minor miracles.
– Fungi fungify our cuisines.
– We should say, “one zucchino, two zucchini.”
– This noble thistle is less than inviting.
– It’s mostly full of bitter seeds.
– The best ways to eat fruits should be more widely practiced.
Peels you can eat
– It’s good to eat them if you can.
Peels you can’t eat
– It’s not good to eat them.
– Cherry is archetype of red.
– The strawberry is a monstrosity.
Berries I’ve never tasted
– We all live in berry bubbles.
Berries I’ve tasted
– Bearberry is the blandest and blueberry is the best.
– The blueberry is the perfect fruit.
– Wild blackberries are worth scratched hands and wrists.
– I became adept at shelling nuts.
– The date is a symbol of prosperity.
– The walnut is shaped like a human brain.
– The real problem is they taste bitter.
– I like any kind of rice.
– Selective breeding pushed this plant from a grass to a fruit.
– You can eat it as a vegetable or as a grain.
– Wheat is the universal food.
– Eat your oatmeal.
– Mix them with honey and put them in hats.
– Heaven is like a mustard seed.
– America’s most popular vegetable.
Barley and rye
– The main uses must be for making beer and whisky.
– The presumption of superiority begins to seem ridiculous.
– Seaweeds aren’t weeds.
– Corn and olive oils are from fruit.
– Only sixteen calories per teaspoon!
– If you know your beans, you’re not a vegetable.
Fruits & Vegetables
| Copyright © 2020