- Being poor doesn’t make a person noble or
- You can see that these days on any city street.
- They’re just as greedy, with more reason to steal.
- Jesus said it’s as easy for a rich man to go to
- as for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle,
- and no religion condemns anyone for being poor,
- so the evil of poverty must be a secular phenomenon.
- The devil must hold an office in the government,
- where he decides the rich can have tax breaks
- and we can’t help victims of crime and labor
- unless they can pass under the eye of a bureaucrat.
- This is the devil’s way of hating human beings.
- He started the war against welfare families.
- He claims that relieving human suffering
- would provide a disincentive to honest labor,
- as though poverty were a form of dishonesty.
- I’d rather be rich than poor, but wouldn’t I
- Somewhere inside, we’re all brothers and sisters.
- Being poor is its own punishment, but being rich—
- we’ll have to think of more creative torments.