- I wouldn’t, in retrospect, have become a
- Too young to know better, I registered for the draft
- and took a student deferment, an easy substitute
- for having conscientious objections.
- I would meet guys in college on the G.I. bill
- who had been to Vietnam and who couldn’t,
- with drugs, liquor, sex, or rock and roll,
- free themselves from the experience.
- I wouldn’t, in retrospect, have demeaned
- to get the girl—not for her open lips or her brown
- Too needy to help it, I did everything I could
- but she wouldn’t have me.
- I should have been free of her; she said
- she would be only my friend; but I was stubborn,
- believing I had chosen to suffer, unwilling to leave the
- I had built for my desire.