|William Thomson Lord Kelvin oceanography|
- When the trade winds stop blowing east to west
- warm seawater
- that has been pushed against eastern coasts
- starting a wave running eastward
- along the equator by Coriolis forces
- until it reaches the western coasts
- where it divides
- and travels north and south along the coasts
- This one may be an accident of wind.
- This one may have traveled
- from the far eastern edge of the sea.
- This one may be the mythical seventh wave
- spawned in the ocean deep
- to test the limits of human wisdom.
- A mysterious layer may underly this obvious one,
- but missing the obvious effects worries me more.
- Effects may be visible, but not recognized; causes
- may not be understood. Everything is connected
- and the boundaries that we think are protecting us
- may be threatening our imaginary innocence.