|Johann Christian Poggendorff electromagnetism|
- To measure an unknown voltage,
- Johann Christian Poggendorff taught
- to compare a fraction of a larger known voltage
- from sliding the contact on a resistive wire
- until a galvanometer shows zero between them.
- To evict an ear worm
- I have at the ready
- exactly as many notes
- of Will Holt’s “Lemon Tree”
- as it takes to displace the worm without
- getting “Lemon Tree” stuck in there.
- Some worms are more persistent,
- and some less, but “Lemon Tree”
- has all the power I need
- to displace anything else.
- Turning on the heat
- Increasing the pressure
- Stepping on the gas
- Upping the ante
- We carefully calibrate
- every adjustment
- trying just hard enough
- working only so hard
- playing only so hard
- hoping just enough.