|Deborah Jin, Rudolf Grimm, Wolfgang Ketterle physics|
- avoid their
- by forming
- bosonic pairs.
Holes in the theory
- If you cool them in separate magnetic domains
- until they are cold enough to combine as pairs,
- fermions can move fast without losing energy,
- but they form quantized vortices when they slow down,
- creating holes in the material until it loses
- its superfluidity.
States of matter
- Solid, liquid, gas.
- It used to be simple,
- like A, B, C.
- We didn’t know plasmas
- danced before our eyes,
- or liquid crystals would dazzle,
- or protic organic ionic plastic crystals
- would conduct protons in fuel cells.
- Scientists tempt strange states of matter
- at the extremes of pressure and temperature
- to tease us with the hypothesis
- that the world we live in is just as strange
- and potentially transient.