|Thales of Miletus electromagnetism|
- Thales of Miletus is said to have studied magnetism.
- He is said to have first described rubbing amber with wool
- to generate a static electrical charge,
- but nothing that he wrote has survived;
- for dating his work,
- we sadly use the year of his death.
- I shuffle across the carpet
- and here is a door knob.
- Rub a balloon on my head
- and stick it to the wall.
- Remove a wool cardigan,
- pet a cat; pop and snap.
- With a thunderstorm approaches,
- hair splays in all directions.
- You feel, you see
- unseen forces crackling.
The soul of amber
- The nature of the material,
- in Latin electrum,
- is to convey its charge when rubbed.
- Aladdin’s genie appeared
- when Aladdin rubbed his lamp
- in which the genie had been imprisoned.
- Who’s to say that amber doesn’t have a soul?
- Rub me the right way and I’ll charge up.